Maple Express2026-08-221 次浏览0 条评论

Maple Express | August 22, 2026 U.S.-Canada Trade Talks Collapse, Carney Announces Dollar-for-Dollar Retaliation

语音朗读
--:--

1. U.S.-Canada trade talks collapse, Carney says 'last-minute' U.S. changes led to breakdown

Source: CP24

Early Saturday morning, new tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump on Canadian goods officially went into effect. Just minutes before the deadline, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced he was suspending trade negotiations with the U.S., then delivered remarks on Canada's response and planned to convene his cabinet and premiers for two closed-door meetings that afternoon.

The tariffs are set at 50 per cent and target about US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods, including cement and hockey sticks. Carney has committed to matching the U.S. levies "dollar for dollar," with the retaliatory tariffs set to take effect on Sept. 8, covering sectors such as steel, dairy, appliances, agriculture and electronics, as well as products currently subject to "unjustified Section 232 tariffs." Carney acknowledged the tariffs would "raise costs and reduce choice," but said rejecting a bad deal and standing up for Canada was in the country's best interest.

Carney explained that the U.S. proposed "economically unfair" new terms in the final hours, including a treatment of auto trade that was unacceptable to the Canadian team. He also said the U.S. sought to "restrict our ability to have other trade deals." Hamilton Mayor Andrea Horwath said the breakdown was "extremely concerning" for a city that accounts for about 60 per cent of Canada's steel output. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said in a statement that Canada cannot accept one-sided tariffs that would "deindustrialize" the country.

U.S.-Canada trade talks collapse, Carney says 'last-minute' U.S. changes led to breakdown

原文链接

2. Canada promises 'dollar for dollar' retaliation, trade war sharply escalates

Source: CP24

On Saturday, as new U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods took effect, the Canada-U.S. trade war sharply escalated. Canada has promised to retaliate against the United States with "dollar for dollar" tariffs.

CTV political analyst Scott Reid broke down the gravity of what the new U.S. tariffs mean for the Canadian economy, and reviewed how the trade negotiations ultimately collapsed.

Canada promises 'dollar for dollar' retaliation

原文链接

3. U.S. slaps 50% tariff on Canadian goods — which products are affected

Source: CP24

Starting Saturday, the United States is imposing a 50 per cent tariff on a range of Canadian exports, after the two countries could not reach a new deal before a deadline imposed by President Donald Trump. Trump had threatened the tariffs back in July to pressure Canada on several issues, including provincial bans on alcohol imports, tariffs on some American-made auto exports, and quotas on tariff-free U.S. dairy exports.

The new tariffs were set to take effect on Aug. 19, but Trump delayed them by three days to allow more time for talks. Just before midnight Friday, both Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the talks had broken down and no deal had been reached. The new tariffs will apply to roughly five per cent of all of Canada's exports to the U.S., worth about $28 billion annually.

The tariffs are grouped into three executive orders loosely themed around motor vehicles, dairy and alcohol, but the actual list of affected goods is far broader, including milk and cream, beer, wine and liquor, ice hockey and field hockey equipment, smartphones, and various clothing, cosmetics, furniture and wood products.

U.S. slaps 50% tariff on Canadian goods

原文链接

4. U.S.-Canada trade talks collapse, 50% tariff on $28 billion of Canadian goods

Source: CP24

U.S.-Canada trade talks collapsed at the last minute, and the United States has imposed a 50 per cent tariff on $28 billion of Canadian goods. The new tariffs are now in effect.

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will implement retaliatory tariffs in response.

U.S.-Canada trade talks collapse

原文链接

5. Three people hospitalized after three-vehicle collision in Toronto's west end

Source: CP24

Three people were taken to hospital after a three-vehicle collision in Toronto's west end early Saturday morning. Emergency crews were called to Lacey Avenue near Keele Street and Eglinton Avenue at about 2 a.m.

Toronto police say one of the vehicles struck a tree. Paramedics say they assessed four people at the scene; one refused treatment, while three others were taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

One of the patients was transported to a trauma centre in serious but stable condition. Police say there is no word on any charges at this time, and the investigation is ongoing.

Three people hospitalized after three-vehicle collision

原文链接

6. The GTA neighbourhoods where homes are sitting on the market longest

Source: CP24

New data released by digital real estate platform Wahi this week shows that while the GTA housing market may be starting to stabilize, how quickly a home sells still depends heavily on location and property type.

According to Wahi's analysis of MLS data, Alderwood in Etobicoke was the GTA's fastest-selling neighbourhood in July, with homes averaging just 10 days on the market; Palmer in Burlington followed at 15 days, while Uptown Ajax and Dovercourt Park in Toronto both averaged 16 days. Humber Bay in Etobicoke, along with neighbourhoods in Milton, Markham, Whitby, North York and Toronto, rounded out the top 10, each averaging 17 days or less. At the other end, homes in Chaplin Estates in midtown Toronto took an average of 77 days to sell.

Wahi economist Ryan McLaughlin said the fastest-selling neighbourhoods are often family-friendly, move-in-ready single-family or row homes, while luxury and condo-heavy communities sit much longer. He noted that smaller condo units are particularly difficult to sell, describing these "shoebox apartments" as "really struggling."

The GTA neighbourhoods where homes are sitting on the market longest

原文链接

7. Speed limits increase on portions of Ontario highways from 100 km/h to 110 km/h

Source: CP24

The Ontario government has increased speed limits on portions of provincial highways.

According to the information released, the posted speed limit on portions of highways 400, 115 and 7 has been raised from 100 km/h to 110 km/h.

Speed limits increase on portions of Ontario highways

原文链接

8. Russian and Ukrainian attacks kill 10, a day after shopping mall strike killed 16

Source: CP24

Ukrainian officials said Saturday that Russian drone and missile strikes killed at least seven people in Ukraine, while a Ukrainian drone attack on Russia's Krasnodar region killed three people there.

The attacks came a day after a Russian strike on a Ukrainian shopping centre that killed at least 16 people and wounded about 130. Moscow's forces have recently intensified ballistic missile attacks on Kyiv, exploiting Ukraine's shortage of U.S.-made Patriot air defense interceptors. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that in the latest attacks, ballistic missiles hit railway infrastructure in Kyiv, killing one person and wounding another.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has continued striking oil facilities inside Russia with long-range drones, causing fuel shortages across Russia. The United Nations said last week that Kyiv was one of the hardest-hit cities in July, with at least 54 civilians killed and 202 wounded.

Russian and Ukrainian attacks kill 10

原文链接

9. Seven killed, including two police officers, in northeast England head-on collision

Source: CP24

Seven people, including two police officers, died early Saturday in a head-on collision in northeast England following a pursuit.

Cleveland Police said a Volkswagen Passat carrying five members of the public was traveling the wrong way down the A66 highway near Middlesbrough and collided with a police vehicle. The crash happened at 3:39 a.m., and the seven people were pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are still working to formally identify some of the victims; the families of those already identified have been informed and are being offered specialist support. Local lawmaker Anna Turley said Cleveland Police are investigating alongside the Independent Office for Police Conduct, urging people to "respect that process and avoid speculation at this deeply painful time."

Seven killed in northeast England head-on collision

原文链接

10. Iran says the world has accepted it defeated the U.S., and other Middle East developments

Source: CP24

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian says the world has accepted that Iran has won the war with the United States. According to Iran's state-run IRNA news agency, Pezeshkian said "the entire world approved our victory and the U.S. is hated."

The Strait of Hormuz has been effectively closed since the U.S. and Israel launched the war nearly six months ago. The report also mentioned that France and Saudi Arabia are expected to discuss plans to bypass the strait. The Trump administration is pressuring Iran economically, with Trump vowing "unprecedented" economic warfare and isolation to force an end to its nuclear program and a full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Meanwhile, Syria's state news agency SANA said an Israeli drone strike on Saturday wounded one person in a vehicle in the southwestern Syrian village of Beit Jin. The Israeli military said it targeted "a terrorist who advanced terror attacks in final stages of preparation."

Iran says the world has accepted it defeated the U.S.

原文链接

更多优惠

🏠最新电商折扣

评论

评论 (0)

0/500
暂无评论