
Maple Evening Express | August 20, 2026 – Canada and U.S. 'Very Close' to Trade Deal
Today's Maple Evening Express: Canada and the U.S. are "very close" to a trade deal as premiers agree to restock American liquor; WSIB cuts 466 jobs in Ontario; SickKids confirms a cybersecurity incident; a Toronto man faces 19 human trafficking charges; the TTC gears up for a busy weekend; $6.6M in contraband nicotine seized at the Blue Water Bridge; Regina backyard remains identified; fog forces a dramatic West Coast Trail rescue.
1. Canada and U.S. 'Very Close' to Trade Deal
Source: CP24
Canada's Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc said in Washington on Aug. 20 that the two countries are "very close" to reaching a new trade agreement. LeBlanc met with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer for more than three hours, telling reporters afterwards: "We continue to make progress, and we're going to stay here and do the work that's necessary until we get to that point." He described the meeting as "long" and "detailed."
Chief Trade Negotiator Janice Charette, Canadian Ambassador to the U.S. Mark Wiseman and Prime Minister Mark Carney's Chief of Staff Marc-André Blanchard also took part in the talks. Earlier, U.S. President Donald Trump announced he would delay his tariffs for three days and said the two countries have reached a tentative deal. The two sides now have until Saturday to finalize an agreement before Trump imposes 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods.
Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Tony Wakeham said all premiers have agreed to return U.S. alcohol to store shelves as a sign of "good faith" requested by Prime Minister Carney. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew pushed back publicly, urging Canadians not to buy U.S. liquor and to choose Canadian products instead. U.S. alcohol products remain off shelves in every province except Alberta and Saskatchewan.

2. Why Is the U.S. Upset About Who Sells Cheese in Canada?
Source: CP24
Cheese has once again become a flashpoint in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute. While officials work to lower sectoral tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum, the U.S. wants Canada to change its strict rules on importing cheese so American retailers can access the Canadian market directly and export premium products. Canadian agricultural economist Al Mussell warned strongly against the move, saying it is "not in the Canadian interest."
Last month, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order threatening a 50 per cent tariff on Canada's dairy sector, which is now in a three-day suspension period. Mussell explained that Canada currently gives dairy import quota access mainly to processors, leaving retailers excluded under CUSMA; the U.S. argues this is unfair because retailers are granted access under Canada's trade agreement with the European Union. The U.S. has challenged Canada's dairy quota system under CUSMA twice before, and a panel sided with Canada the second time.
Mussell said the dispute goes "far beyond cheese or dairy products." David Wiens, president of the Dairy Farmers of Canada, said "our national food sovereignty is not up for negotiation." Mathieu Frigon, president of the Dairy Processors Association of Canada, noted that U.S. dairy exports to Canada exceed Canadian exports to the U.S. by more than $600 million annually and have grown by more than 150 per cent since CUSMA took effect. Mussell also raised concerns about U.S. milk quality standards, saying some Grade A U.S. milk would not be saleable in any Canadian province.

3. WSIB Cuts 466 Jobs Across Ontario
Source: CP24
Ontario's Workplace Safety and Insurance Board announced Aug. 20 that it is cutting 466 jobs across the province and closing nine branch offices, including nearly 200 positions in the north. In a statement, the WSIB called it a "difficult business decision" to consolidate some back-office roles in claims and account management held by remote workers, promising affected staff relocation opportunities, resumé writing and job-seeking services, and continued benefits including unlimited mental health support.
Affected employees are located in Sudbury, Windsor, Thunder Bay, St. Catharines, Guelph, Sault Ste. Marie, Kingston, North Bay and Timmins. Harry Goslin, president of the Ontario Compensation Employees Union, said the union has been told another 155 jobs will be cut in Waterloo in about a year, adding "every day is like a gut punch." Goslin warned that the loss of staff will mean longer waits for injured workers to get return calls, decisions and health-care reimbursements.
NDP critic Lise Vaugeois called the cuts a betrayal of workers, while Interim Liberal Leader John Fraser accused the WSIB of abandoning northern Ontario, where half of the job losses are concentrated, noting northern communities are already dealing with tariffs, plant closures and near-historic unemployment. The WSIB is among several large public agencies the province will review in the coming months, after Treasury Board President Peter Bethlenfalvy announced earlier this month that the WSIB, LCBO and AGCO would undergo efficiency and productivity reviews.

4. Toronto Man Charged Over Repeated Indecent Exposure in Markham
Source: CP24
York Regional Police said Aug. 20 that a 37-year-old Toronto man faces multiple charges after allegedly exposing himself to women on several occasions in Markham. Police responded to five separate incidents between June 9 and Aug. 14 near McCowan Road and Steeles Avenue East, where the suspect allegedly approached different women and exposed himself.
On Aug. 20, while conducting patrols in the area in connection with the incidents, police arrested Chong Chen, 37, of Toronto. He is charged with one count of prowling at night, two counts of criminal harassment and six counts of committing an indecent act. Police noted the charges have not been tested in court.
Investigators believe there may be additional victims. Police are asking anyone with information to contact them or Crime Stoppers anonymously to help determine whether more women were affected.

5. SickKids Responding to Cybersecurity 'Incident'
Source: CP24
The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto confirmed Aug. 20 that a recent cybersecurity "incident" resulted in unauthorized access to the personal information of some of its current and former employees. In an email to CTV News, SickKids confirmed the breach, which temporarily affected its external careers website. That website has since been restored. A spokesperson said the hospital's clinical systems and patient information were not affected.
The hospital said the incident is believed to be linked to a vulnerability in a third-party software application used by SickKids and other unnamed organizations. The investigation determined that the personal information of workers at the SickKids Foundation and Boomerang Health, a pediatric clinic in Vaughan launched by the hospital, was also compromised. A letter sent to some employees stated the breach was first identified on July 9 and involved a system supporting its careers website and "certain Human Resources functions, including payroll."
The hospital said individuals who were part of its workforce between Dec. 12, 2016 and Aug. 31, 2018 "may have had sensitive personal information on the impacted system." As a precaution, all potentially impacted individuals have been alerted and offered 24 months of complimentary credit monitoring and identity protection services. The hospital was previously hit by a ransomware attack in 2022 that delayed lab and imaging results, knocked out phone lines and shut down the payroll system for weeks.

6. Toronto Man Faces 19 Charges in Human Trafficking Probe
Source: CP24
Toronto police announced Aug. 20 that a 31-year-old Toronto man, Jaydon Anderson, faces 19 charges in connection with the trafficking of a woman. In Feb. 2025, the force's Human Trafficking Unit launched an investigation in Toronto and Sault Ste. Marie. Investigators allege that through "a combination of deception, coercion, control, and threats," a man trafficked a 32-year-old victim, assaulted and threatened her with a firearm, and transported her from Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto to engage in sex work. Police said the accused posted sexualized pictures of the victim that were used to distribute online.
On May 6, a Criminal Code search warrant was executed at an address in Vaughan, and Anderson was arrested and charged with multiple offences including kidnapping, forcible confinement, procuring/exercising control, and uttering threats of death or bodily harm, along with a number of drug- and firearms-related charges. Anderson, who police said had been unlawfully at large since April 30, was re-arrested on Aug. 12 when another search warrant was executed in North Bay, and additional charges are expected. He was scheduled to appear in bail court on Aug. 13.
Police say the investigation is ongoing and they believe there may be more victims. Anyone with information is asked to contact Toronto police at 416-808-4838 or by email, or Crime Stoppers anonymously.

7. How the TTC Will Handle One of the Busiest Weekends of the Summer
Source: CP24
Toronto's transit systems face a major test this weekend as hundreds of thousands are expected to descend on the city for BTS's two shows, Ed Sheeran's three concerts and the opening weekend of the Canadian National Exhibition. The TTC has introduced a CNE express shuttle bus from Dufferin Station to Exhibition Place and increased service on the 29 and 929 Dufferin buses and the 509 and 511 streetcars. It is also adding subway trains on Line 1 on Saturday and Sunday for fans attending the BTS concerts at Rogers Stadium.
The TTC reminded fans they can get off at Downsview Park, Sheppard West or Wilson stations, all within walking distance of the venue. Extra buses will run on the 84 and 984 Sheppard West routes, and the 101 Downsview Park bus will be extended to Sheppard West station from 12 p.m. to 1 a.m. A dedicated shuttle service at Wilson Station will help concertgoers with accessibility needs, and fans can use their concert tickets to ride the TTC for free. TTC CEO Mandeep Lali said lessons from the World Cup are being applied to big events in Toronto: "We're not starting from zero. We're starting from a very strong position."
GO Transit is also adjusting service on its Lakeshore West and East lines from Aug. 21 to Sept. 7 to help riders get to the CNE. In addition, there will be no subway service between St. George and Chester stations on Line 2 starting at 11 a.m. on Sunday due to a beam replacement on the Prince Edward Viaduct; shuttle buses will operate, and Bay and Sherbourne stations will be closed.

8. $6.6 Million Worth of Contraband Nicotine Seized at Blue Water Bridge
Source: CP24
The Canada Border Services Agency announced Aug. 20 that it seized $6.6 million worth of contraband nicotine over three days at the Blue Water Bridge crossing in Point Edward, Ont. On Aug. 7, officers seized a total of 61,758 nicotine vapes from a commercial driver headed to Canada from the U.S., with an estimated value of almost $2.8 million.
On Aug. 10, 570 kilograms of nicotine pouches from an American commercial driver were seized, valued at an estimated $835,200. A second seizure the same day netted 3,366 kilograms of nicotine pouches worth almost $3 million, bringing the total value of the three seizures to $6.6 million.
The Blue Water Bridge crossing is located in Point Edward, Ont., near Sarnia. The CBSA did not say whether any charges were laid.

9. Human Remains Found in Regina Backyard Identified
Source: CP24
Regina police announced Thursday morning that human remains discovered in a backyard earlier this year have been identified as Wayne Joseph Breed. According to the Regina Police Service, Breed was not listed on any missing persons databases, and a match was only found by searching the national RCMP DNA database. An investigation into the circumstances of the suspicious death is ongoing, and Breed's family has been notified.
The discovery was reported to Regina police on June 9 at a property on the 1300 block of Retallack Street. Police determined the remains had been buried at the property for a minimum of five years. As of today's date, Breed would have been 34 years old. RPS noted that information from the public was crucial to identifying Breed and thanked those who reached out with tips.
The news shook residents of the North Central neighbourhood. The current landlord told CTV News he has owned the home since 2009 and said around seven to eight tenants have come through the property since then. Neighbour Amber Button told CTV News on June 19 that while she was saddened by the news, she was not surprised given the location, questioning how many other houses in the area could hold similar remains.

10. Fog Halts Helicopter Rescue, Forcing Dramatic Change of Plan on West Coast Trail
Source: CP24
A medical emergency on the West Coast Trail about one kilometre south of Pachena Bay on Vancouver Island turned into a complex rescue Wednesday after coastal fog forced crews to abandon an attempted aerial extraction. The Alberni Valley Rescue Squad was called by Parks Canada late Wednesday afternoon to assist, initially responding with its regional Class D Fixed Line team and Airspan Helicopters. But as fog settled over the coast, visibility deteriorated and the planned long-line rescue could not safely proceed.
Rescuers quickly shifted gears: two CDFL members and an advanced medical team made their way to the person on foot, and after assessing the patient, crews developed a plan to bring them out as safely and efficiently as possible. Another AVRS team arrived with rope equipment to help. The patient was safely brought to the beach and stretchered back to the Pachena Bay Information Centre, then transported by the Bamfield Volunteer Fire Department to the Bamfield Clinic, and later transferred by BC Emergency Health Services.
The response brought together first responders from several agencies along with members of the public and local businesses. A bystander named David remained with the patient on the trail for hours before rescuers arrived, and AVRS highlighted the support of Tammy and Corey at the Pachena Bay Information Centre, who stayed well past their shift, as well as a cook at the Bamfield Pub who stayed late to prepare a meal for the crews. The rescue was a reminder of how quickly conditions can change during an emergency on Vancouver Island's rugged west coast.

评论 (0)
更多优惠
-19%PSOS Dehumidifier 98 OZ — Quiet for Basement & Bedroom, 7-Color Ambient Light! $89.99 CAD (18% Off)
Amazon
-46%Frigidaire 0.9 Cu. Ft. Microwave — Compact Power with 8 Presets! $109.99 CAD (45% Off)
Best Buy
-12%CESAR Classic Loaf Wet Dog Food (24-Pack) — 3 Flavours for Small Breeds! $28.77 CAD (11% Off)
Amazon
-26%Geekpure 5-Stage RO Replacement Filter Set — Complete Kit with 75 GPD Membrane, NSF Certified! $59.83 CAD (25% Off)
Amazon
Finance MorningFinance Morning | August 20, 2026 — Evergrande's Xu Jiayin Sentenced to Life Imprisonment
Maple Express