Maple Express | August 23, 2026 26-year-old man dead after police-involved shooting in North York
Today's Maple Express brings you 10 top Canadian stories: a 26-year-old man dead after a police-involved shooting in North York; Canada-U.S. trade talks collapse as Carney vows dollar-for-dollar tariffs on Sept. 8; Ford backs Carney in rejecting a "bad deal"; two suspicious deaths in Ottawa and western Quebec; plus Toronto weather, a Seneca Polytechnic vandalism case, an Arctic expedition and more.
1. 26-year-old man dead after being shot by Toronto police officer in North York
Source: CP24
A 26-year-old man is dead after being shot by a Toronto police officer in North York on Saturday afternoon.
Toronto police said they responded to the area of Wilson and King High Avenues, east of Allen Road, at 1:24 p.m. for reports of a "damaged vehicle driving erratically." The vehicle had been involved in a collision and was attempting to flee. According to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), officers encountered a man in possession of a firearm; after an interaction between the man and two officers, one officer discharged his firearm, and the man was struck and later pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and three forensic investigators to the case. Toronto police sources told CP24 that at least two guns were recovered, including a handgun with a drum magazine. Coun. James Pasternak, who represents the area, called the incident "disturbing." Anyone with information is asked to contact the SIU at 1-800-787-8529.
2. Carney vows dollar-for-dollar tariffs after Canada-U.S. trade talks collapse
Source: CP24
Prime Minister Mark Carney says U.S. President Donald Trump's new 50 per cent tariffs amount to an economic "attack" on Canada, and he has vowed "dollar for dollar" retaliatory tariffs that will take effect on Sept. 8.
His remarks came after a late-night decision to call off trade talks with the U.S., following last-minute requests from the American delegation that led to a breakdown in negotiations. Trump's 50 per cent tariffs target US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods, including cement and hockey sticks.
Asked whether Canada is going to war, Carney responded: "You're at war when you get attacked. We got attacked." He acknowledged the tariffs will "raise costs and reduce choice" for Canadians, while insisting Canada was rejecting a bad deal and standing up for itself.

3. Ford backs Carney in rejecting a 'bad deal,' calls Trump untrustworthy
Source: CTV News
Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he is "glad" that Prime Minister Mark Carney listened to industry experts who said Canada was getting a "bad deal."
In a letter to Carney, Ford urged Ottawa to stand firm, arguing that "no deal is better than a bad deal." He wrote: "We cannot allow arbitrary deadlines, shifting justifications or escalating tariff threats to weaken our resolve." Ford also said Ontario would not support removing its existing retaliatory measures.
Ford separately criticized Trump as untrustworthy, saying he "changes the deal" and "keeps moving the goalpost."

4. Police investigating two suspicious deaths in Ottawa, western Quebec
Source: CP24
Police in Ottawa and Quebec are investigating a pair of suspicious deaths believed to be connected in Ottawa and western Quebec.
Sûreté du Québec (SQ) officers responded to a single-vehicle collision east of Highway 50 near Papineauville, Que., shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday. A person inside the vehicle had injuries "considered suspicious in nature," and died shortly after being transported to hospital. As officers investigated, the SQ requested assistance from Ottawa police, who went to a home in the 200 block of Guigues Avenue in Lowertown at 11:09 a.m., where a second person was found dead.
Ottawa paramedics previously told CTV News Ottawa the victim in the home was a woman. Police have not released the identities of the individuals, and said there is no ongoing threat to public safety.

5. Police seek suspect who threw rocks through Seneca Polytechnic windows
Source: CP24
Toronto police are searching for a suspect who they say threw rocks through several windows of Seneca Polytechnic's Newham campus earlier this month.
Police said they got a call on Aug. 9 just before 1 a.m. to respond to the campus near Finch Avenue East and Don Mills Road, but the suspect had already fled when officers arrived. In a news release on Saturday, police released images of the suspect, described as having a medium build and short black hair, last seen wearing a black hooded sweater, black pants and a red baseball hat.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3300 or Crime Stoppers anonymously.

6. Thunderstorm warning ends, but Toronto remains under special weather statement
Source: CP24
A yellow warning for severe thunderstorms has ended, but a special weather statement remains in effect for Toronto and the rest of the GTA.
Environment Canada issued the warning early Saturday evening as meteorologists tracked a storm moving east at 50 km/h. The federal agency said radar and weather station data suggested 25 to 40 millimetres of rain had fallen as the storm passed through. The yellow warning ended just after 7:15 p.m.
The special weather statement says the GTA could see rainfall rates of up to 40 millimetres in an hour between Saturday and Sunday morning, with local amounts exceeding 50 millimetres possible. Rainy conditions are expected to persist Sunday with a daytime high of 21 C.

7. UofT professor turns Holocaust victims' Yiddish poems into award-winning album
Source: CP24
In 2010, University of Toronto professor Anna Shternshis was researching the history of Yiddish culture in Ukraine during the Holocaust when she came across a large collection of handwritten documents — many of them poems, some with music notes, dated between 1941 and 1947.
Sixteen years later, those poems have been transformed into an album titled "The Silenced Songs of World War II," which recently won the German Record Critics' Prize. The documents were originally collected by scholar Moisei Beregovsky in the 1940s; he was later arrested by Joseph Stalin, and the materials were confiscated and stored in KGB archives until the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Shternshis worked with 17 musicians, most of them Canadian, to bring the poems to life and give voice to this "silenced" history.

8. Canadian researcher prepares for 8 months stuck in Arctic drifting ice
Source: CP24
A Quebec-born researcher is leading a science team on an eight-month Arctic expedition, drifting through Arctic ice.
Maxime Geoffroy and his 12 teammates aboard the Tara Polar Station are set to sail this weekend alongside a Chinese icebreaker that will bring them into the Central Arctic Ocean. The 26-metre-long, 16-metre-wide oval-shaped research station will drift with the Arctic currents for months, with more than 200 sampling and job protocols to complete.
Geoffroy, a polar ichthyologist who works with the Marine Institute in Newfoundland and Labrador, says the crew won't be able to leave the vessel for about eight months, more than four of which will be during the polar night. This is the first of ten expeditions the Tara Ocean Foundation has planned through the Arctic ice.

9. Ottawa mayoral candidate promises to raise Palestinian flag at city hall if elected
Source: CP24
An Ottawa mayoral candidate is promising to fly the Palestinian flag at city hall if elected this October.
In a video posted to social media on Friday, Neil Saravanamuttoo said: "As mayor, I will raise the Palestinian flag at City Hall, as we do for other states." In an interview, he said "Gaza is a genocide" and that he agrees with the findings of the UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the matter.
Fellow candidate Alex Lawson said the only flags that should fly at city hall are those of Ottawa, Ontario and Canada, while Mayor Mark Sutcliffe is seeking re-election this fall. Ottawa residents head to the polls on Oct. 26.

10. Dutch police determine 'Lucky' is not missing Vancouver man
Source: CP24
Dutch police have determined that the man known as "Lucky" is not John Russell Kenny, a Vancouver man who lost contact with his family in 1993.
Lucky has been in care without a known identity since he was admitted to a hospital in Amsterdam in 2023 after suffering a brain hemorrhage or stroke, and was diagnosed with aphasia. Amsterdam police appealed to the public and received more than 500 tips, several suggesting Lucky could be Kenny. A fingerprint comparison conducted with the Vancouver Police Department did not match.
Amsterdam police said Saturday that "it has now been definitively established that Lucky and Mr. Kenny are not the same person." Detectives are now investigating at least nine new leads, while urging the public to exercise restraint when sharing findings on social media.

评论 (0)
更多优惠
-25%Miracase Car Phone Mount — Military-Grade Suction, 96K Reviews! $24.99 CAD (24% Off)
Amazon
-55%FBB 3-in-1 Car Phone Mount — Suction Cup + Vent Clip, One-Hand Release! $22.99 CAD (54% Off)
Amazon
-31%W-KING T9-2 Party Bluetooth Speaker — 180W Peak Bass, 105dB Sound! $139.99 CAD (30% Off)
Amazon
-40%Sennheiser ACCENTUM Plus ANC Headphones — Adaptive Hybrid ANC, 50-Hr Battery! $199.99 CAD (39% Off)
Best Buy
Maple ExpressMaple Express | August 22, 2026 U.S.-Canada Trade Talks Collapse, Carney Announces Dollar-for-Dollar Retaliation
Finance Weekly