
Maple Express | August 17, 2026 Plaza Taped Off Amid Possible Human Remains Investigation
Today's Maple Express: police taped off a GTA plaza over possible human remains; a collision and oil spill caused major delays on Highway 401; and a Legionnaires' Disease outbreak is under investigation near Bathurst and Dupont. Also: an $18-million lawsuit over a toddler's deadly fall, Mike Layton's return to city council, and new sports courts in Scarborough. Doug Ford spoke on data sovereignty, and Canada's under-16 social media ban faces a likely Charter challenge.
1. Plaza taped off amid possible human remains investigation
A plaza in the GTA was fully taped off by police Monday afternoon following a report of possible human remains discovered at the scene. Multiple police cruisers were parked at the entrance as officers conducted a careful examination of the area.
As of press time, police had not released further details or confirmed the identity of the remains. Businesses and residents in the area were affected, and police are asking anyone with information to come forward.

2. Major delays on Hwy. 401 after collision and oil spill
Two separate incidents on Highway 401 caused major delays in both directions Monday afternoon. Just before 1 p.m., a transport truck spilled oil onto the westbound collector lanes near Keele Street, forcing a closure while cleanup crews worked.
After 4 p.m., an unrelated two-vehicle collision involving a motorcycle closed the eastbound express lanes at Winston Churchill Boulevard. A 53-year-old motorcycle rider was seriously injured and taken to hospital. OPP are urging motorists to avoid the area.

3. Legionnaires' Disease outbreak near Bathurst and Dupont
Toronto public health officials are investigating an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease near Bathurst and Dupont. Six individuals within a one-kilometre radius of the area have contracted the illness.
Officials are working to identify the source and are reminding residents to watch for symptoms such as fever, cough and shortness of breath. The disease is typically spread through contaminated water aerosols, and anyone feeling unwell should seek medical care.

4. $18-million lawsuit filed over toddler's deadly fall
On Mother's Day, May 10, a toddler fell to her death from a 19th-floor window at a North York apartment building near Don Mills Road and Graydon Hall Drive after the glass she gently touched suddenly shattered.
The girl's parents, Deepali Kashyap and Rakshit Chauhan, have filed an $18-million lawsuit in Ontario Superior Court, claiming severe psychological trauma. The building's owners and managers are named as defendants.

5. Mike Layton running for Toronto city council
After a four-year break from politics, Mike Layton is running again for Toronto city council in the University-Rosedale ward. He is the stepson of Mayor Olivia Chow.
Layton previously served as a city councillor and was active on environmental and municipal issues. His return to politics adds a new dynamic to the race in his ward.

6. New sports courts open in Scarborough
Ten new courts opened Monday at Malvern Park in Scarborough, featuring tennis, pickleball, netball and volleyball. They are part of a national initiative aiming to build 100 courts across Canada by 2030.
The new facilities are expected to meet the growing demand for recreational sports in the surrounding community.

7. FIFA beaver sculptures up for auction
Hand-painted beaver statues that welcomed FIFA World Cup fans in Old Town Toronto are now up for auction. Online bidding on 50 beaver installations closes Aug. 24.
Proceeds will be split between Toronto's First Post Office and KidSport Ontario. A Canadian-themed beaver featuring a maple leaf pattern had drawn the highest bid of $2,100 by early Monday afternoon.

8. Doug Ford says Ontario can't let Trump control our data
Premier Doug Ford said Monday that failing to build data centres in Ontario risks "Canadians' data being sent to the U.S. and into the hands of President Trump." He made the comment at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario convention in Ottawa.
The remarks follow Oakville's moratorium on new data centres, with Mississauga considering a similar move. Ontario unveiled a new data centre framework last week requiring large facilities to pay higher electricity rates.

9. Canada's social media ban likely to face Charter challenge
Experts say the federal government's proposed ban on social media for kids under 16 is almost certain to face a constitutional challenge. On Friday, France's top court struck down a similar ban, calling it too broad and an infringement on freedom of expression.
Dalhousie University law professor Michael Karanicolas said social media is a key avenue for young people to voice their political views, and denying access effectively silences them.

10. Drugmaker warns of illegal obesity medication
Lilly Canada is warning Canadians about black market sales of its experimental obesity drug retatrutide, describing them as "unapproved and illegal." The drug has not been approved by Health Canada or any other regulator worldwide.
The company says the drug is being sold online and on social media. Retatrutide is currently in phase three clinical trials for obesity and type 2 diabetes.

评论 (0)
更多优惠
-21%Arteck Ultra-Slim Wireless Keyboard — Stainless Steel, 6-Month Battery! $39.89 CAD (20% Off)
Amazon
-18%Apple MacBook Air 13.6" M4 (16GB/512GB) — M4 Chip, Featherlight Power! $1399.99 CAD (17% Off)
Best Buy
-27%HP 15.6" Laptop — N100 + 1-Year Microsoft 365! $296 CAD (27% Off)
Amazon
-44%HUANUO Single Monitor Arm — Gas Spring, 13-32", One-Hand Adjust! $50.99 CAD (43% Off)
Amazon
Finance MorningFinance Morning | Aug 17, 2026 ChangXin Memory's market cap hits ~2.5x Moutai
Maple Express