Maple Express2026-08-180 次浏览0 条评论

Maple Express | August 18, 2026 Ontario Teachers' Unions Mull Strike Action

语音朗读
--:--

1. Ontario teachers' unions mull strike action

With just weeks to go before the start of the school year and no new collective agreement in place, Ontario's teachers and education workers say job action isn't off the table as negotiations hit an impasse. Union leaders said Monday they will fight on behalf of their members and students.

ETFO President David Mastin told the union's annual meeting: "All I can say right now is we are going to fight on behalf of our members. We're going to fight on behalf of students." Leaders of the Ontario English Catholic Teachers' Association (OECTA) and the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF) also spoke.

Collective agreements for all of Ontario's teachers and education workers expire on Aug. 31. Bargaining with the province has stalled for every union but OECTA over a dispute about which issues are negotiated centrally versus locally. Mastin said the education system is in "crisis," citing chronic underfunding, disputes over sick days, and classroom conditions. In 2020, Ontario's major education unions staged rotating one-day strikes, while a 2022 standoff was averted through binding arbitration.

Ontario teachers' unions mull strike action

2. Undetonated blasting caps found in Markham home

York Regional Police say old undetonated blasting caps have been discovered inside a home in Markham, and officers are now on scene. The residence is near Lee Avenue and Sunman Court, in the area of 14th Avenue and Brimley Road, and police are asking residents to stay away.

Police say the homeowner found the caps, which are small explosive devices usually combined with a fuse to detonate a larger explosive, and which remain hazardous even when old.

Because of the volatile nature of the old materials, the Emergency Response Unit is attending to safely assess and dispose of the items. Police warn that residents may hear loud noises if the caps need to be safely detonated on scene, and ask the public to avoid the immediate area.

Undetonated blasting caps found in Markham home

3. Canada's wildfire season tracking to be 4th worst on record

Federal forecasters said at a regular update in Ottawa that Canada is on track for its fourth worst wildfire season on record. September's fire risk is expected to be well above seasonal averages across Northern B.C., Northern Quebec, and most of Labrador.

So far this year, wildfires have burned more than 40,000 square kilometres — an area almost the size of Nova Scotia. It is the first time in history that much forest has burned for four years in a row, underscoring the growing toll of climate change.

There are currently 580 wildfires across the country, with 30 burning out of control. The worst season on record was in 2023, when more than 170,000 square kilometres burned — more than twice the size of New Brunswick. Forecasters urge residents in high-risk areas to prepare evacuation plans in advance.

Canada's wildfire season tracking to be 4th worst on record

4. Hwy. 401 lanes closed after dump truck catches fire

Two westbound express lanes on Highway 401 in North York are closed after a dump truck carrying gravel caught fire near Allen Road this afternoon, causing significant travel delays.

The Ontario Provincial Police announced the closure at around 2:30 p.m. According to OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt, the fire started after the vehicle's brake lines sheared, causing the parking brakes to engage while the truck was still moving, generating enough heat to ignite the trailer.

No injuries were reported. Cleanup efforts are underway, and one left express lane and all collector lanes remain open. Police are urging drivers to slow down and follow on-scene signage, and recommend that motorists plan alternate routes to avoid congestion.

Hwy. 401 lanes closed after dump truck catches fire

5. Man on bike accused of sexually assaulting three women in Markham

York Regional Police are searching for a male suspect on a bicycle after three women were sexually assaulted within a week in Markham, and are asking for the public's help to identify him.

Police say all three assaults occurred between 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. in the area of Edward Jeffreys Avenue, between Markham Road and Roy Rainey Avenue. In each incident the suspect was riding a bicycle. The first assault took place Aug. 10, when the victim was walking near Edward Jeffreys Avenue and Mingay Avenue and the suspect allegedly touched her for a sexual purpose before fleeing. The second happened Friday, when the suspect allegedly rode past the victim, turned around, and assaulted her. The third occurred Monday, with the suspect assaulting the victim while riding past her.

Police describe the suspect as a South Asian male, about 18 years old, with a medium complexion and straight, medium-length black hair, riding a bicycle that appeared too small for him. Anyone with information is asked to call York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7071, or Crime Stoppers anonymously.

Man on bike accused of sexually assaulting three women in Markham

6. Sobeys parent Empire to buy nine Morelli's pharmacies in Ontario

Sobeys parent company Empire Co. Ltd. says it is buying nine Morelli's pharmacies in Ontario that are already situated within some Longo's grocery stores.

Each of those pharmacies will be integrated into Sobeys National Pharmacy operations and rebranded as a Longo's Pharmacy. All nine pharmacies are located in the Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton, further strengthening Empire's pharmacy footprint in Ontario.

The company did not disclose the cost of the acquisition. Under new CEO Pierre St-Laurent's leadership, Empire plans to expand its pharmacy and discount grocer business. The deal remains subject to regulatory approvals, including from the Ontario College of Pharmacists, and is expected to close in the second quarter of fiscal 2027.

Sobeys parent Empire to buy nine Morelli's pharmacies in Ontario

7. Demonstrators speak out against new rules for tenants

New Ontario provincial legislation to impose air conditioning surcharges on tenants has drawn strong backlash, with demonstrators rallying today under the banner "it's just not fair" and calling on the government to withdraw the provision.

Protesters argue that with rents and the cost of living continuing to climb, charging tenants extra for air conditioning places an added financial burden on renters — especially during summer heat waves, when air conditioning is a basic necessity rather than an optional luxury.

The new tenant rules have sparked widespread attention, with tenant advocacy groups urging the province to reconsider the policy and avoid further eroding renters' basic housing rights amid an ongoing affordability crisis.

Demonstrators speak out against new rules for tenants

8. Ontario seeks to add more primary care teams to attach 600,000 people

Ontario will soon put out a call for proposals to create or expand 78 primary care teams, as it works toward its goal of attaching all Ontarians to primary care by 2029.

Health Minister Sylvia Jones announced today that 437,000 people have been connected to primary care since the government's plan launched early last year, and that the next round aims to attach another 600,000 people.

Jones says the government is on track to reach its target of attaching two million people. However, the Ontario Medical Association has said 2.5 million people still do not have a family doctor. The province is focusing on expanding interdisciplinary care, with teams that can include doctors, nurses, physiotherapists, social workers and other health professionals.

Ontario seeks to add more primary care teams to attach 600,000 people

9. TSX down nearly 300 points as U.S. tariff deadline nears

Canada's main stock index lost ground on Tuesday as the midnight deadline neared for the U.S. to impose a 50 per cent tariff on some $28 billion worth of Canadian goods. The S&P/TSX composite index was down 299.99 points at 36,367.93.

U.S. markets also fell: the Dow Jones industrial average was down 116.38 points at 53,343.40, the S&P 500 was down 53.30 points at 7,691.76, and the Nasdaq composite was down 355.20 points at 26,289.71.

The Canadian dollar traded for 72.00 cents US, down from 72.12 cents US on Monday. In commodities, the October crude contract rose 32 cents to US$84.06 a barrel, while December gold fell US$53.10 to US$4,420.60 an ounce.

TSX down nearly 300 points as U.S. tariff deadline nears

10. Ex-adviser warns dropping retaliatory tariffs may lead to a worse outcome

A former special adviser on Canada-U.S. relations is warning that Canada could weaken its negotiating position if it makes further concessions to the U.S. Her warning comes as the two countries hold last-minute talks ahead of an Aug. 19 midnight deadline that could see sweeping 50 per cent tariffs on roughly US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods, including cement, hockey equipment, dairy products, wine and clothing.

Diamond Isinger said that while the U.S. has made clear it does not want Canada to retaliate, dropping retaliatory tariffs could encourage the Trump administration to push for more and "may actually lead to a worse outcome overall for Canada."

She said the U.S. administration has historically responded positively when partners like Canada show strength. She described Prime Minister Mark Carney's Monday phone call with President Donald Trump as a positive signal, since Trump is the key decision-maker and any deal ultimately requires his approval.

Ex-adviser warns dropping retaliatory tariffs may lead to a worse outcome

更多优惠

🏠最新电商折扣

评论

评论 (0)

0/500
暂无评论