
Maple Express | August 22, 2026 — Canada-U.S. trade talks collapse, 50% tariffs take effect
Canada and the U.S. failed to reach a last-minute trade deal, with new 50 per cent tariffs taking effect this morning as PM Carney pledges to match them dollar for dollar. Two worshippers were stabbed at an Edmonton Sikh temple, Toronto faces a weekend rainfall warning, and a last-minute ward switch shook up the city council race. 10 Canadian news stories in today's Maple Express.
1. Canada, U.S. fail to strike last-minute trade deal; 50% tariffs take effect
Source: CP24
After weeks of intense talks, Canada and the United States failed to reach a last-minute trade deal, and new 50 per cent tariffs on $28 billion worth of Canadian goods took effect early Saturday. Both countries announced the outcome in separate statements late Friday. Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada intends to retaliate and match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect Canadian workers and businesses.
Carney said progress had been made but it was "not been enough," and that trade negotiations will now be suspended, with additional support measures coming for Canadian workers and businesses. He also said the "last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal." U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer called the failed talks a "missed opportunity," saying Washington had offered "significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos and lumbers in exchange for other concessions from Canada."
Last month, the White House threatened 50 per cent tariffs on a variety of Canadian goods in response to what U.S. President Donald Trump characterized as discriminatory trade policies, including provincial bans on U.S. alcohol, supply management on dairy, and certain tariffs and quotas on cars imported to Canada from the U.S. Ontario Premier Doug Ford said the "prime minister has my full support for a strong response—tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar," adding that "Team Canada needs to stand together more united than ever before." B.C. Premier David Eby said Canada's "politeness should never be mistaken for weakness."

2. PM Carney suspends trade negotiations, vows to match U.S. tariffs dollar for dollar
Source: CP24
Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations with the United States minutes before the deadline, and a new round of U.S. tariffs on Canada went into effect early Saturday morning. The move followed a three-day extension granted by U.S. President Donald Trump to give negotiators more time. The 50 per cent tariffs target US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods, including cement and hockey sticks.
In a statement released ahead of the deadline, the Prime Minister's Office said Carney "decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and has directed Canada's negotiators to return to Ottawa," noting they "worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute." The statement said the U.S. intended to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods at midnight, and that "Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses."
In a statement Friday night, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada declined to finalize the deal despite the U.S. offer for Canada to receive "the best treatment of any major exporter to our market," and that Canada's new demands and walkbacks "upended" the careful balance reached in recent days. He called it a "missed opportunity" to partner with the United States, "the fastest-growing economy in the G7." Ontario Premier Doug Ford voiced support for the prime minister on social media — "tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar" — while B.C. Premier David Eby vowed "we'll keep fighting for as long as it takes." Canada's chief trade negotiator Janice Charette remained at the U.S. Trade Representative's office in Washington late Friday night.

3. Two men stabbed at Edmonton Sikh temple as Alberta gurdwaras face threats
Source: CP24
Two worshippers were stabbed inside an Edmonton Sikh temple during an early-morning prayer service Friday, as police investigate and other gurdwaras in Alberta face threatening calls. Edmonton police were called to the Nanaksar Gurdwara in northeast Edmonton shortly after 5 a.m. Two men, aged 51 and 75, were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after being stabbed with what police say was possibly a screwdriver.
A 27-year-old man, who police say was not a member of the congregation, was arrested at the scene. Police said he was known to them and had been released from a federal institution outside Edmonton the previous day. "He has a significant history of violence offences dating back to 2015," Acting Insp. Eric Stewart said. Police said the man did not report to his halfway house following his release. He has not been named and charges were pending, as investigators work to determine whether the attack was motivated by hate.
Edmonton Mayor Andrew Knack condemned the violence, saying "hate and prejudice and racism have no place in our city." The stabbing comes during a troubling week for Alberta's Sikh community, after two temples in Calgary received threatening calls — at the Dashmesh Culture Centre, a caller on Aug. 15 said heavy equipment was on the way to demolish the temple while the building was filled with people. Edmonton police said investigators are considering whether Friday's violence could be connected to the incidents targeting Sikh temples in Calgary.

4. Special weather statement issued for Toronto this weekend
Source: CP24
Environment Canada has issued a special weather statement for Toronto, advising of possible "significant rainfall" from Saturday morning to Sunday morning. "Showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop over southwestern Ontario in the morning before moving into the Greater Golden Horseshoe in the afternoon," the agency said.
Toronto could see up to 50 millimetres of rain, given the potential for slow-moving showers and thunderstorms and for some areas to receive multiple rounds of precipitation. Environment Canada noted rainfall amounts will be highly variable across the region, with considerable uncertainty about which areas will receive the highest amounts. The rest of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area is also under a special weather statement.
Hundreds of thousands of people are expected in and around the city this weekend due to multiple events, street festivals and concerts, including the Canadian National Exhibition fair and K-pop group BTS' ARIRANG tour. The daytime high on Saturday will be 26 C with a humidex of 31, while Sunday will be cooler with a high of 21 C.

5. Shakeup in race for Toronto city council as incumbent switches wards at deadline
Source: CP24
An incumbent city councillor scrapped her plans to run for re-election in her ward and will instead join a crowded field of candidates vying to represent Toronto-Danforth at city hall. Dianne Saxe showed up at Toronto City Hall moments prior to the 2 p.m. deadline for filing nomination paperwork on Friday and officially withdrew as a candidate in University-Rosedale, joining a field of 12 candidates in Toronto-Danforth, which was left without an incumbent after Paul Fletcher abruptly announced her retirement on Wednesday.
Saxe previously served as environmental commissioner of Ontario and deputy leader of the Ontario Green party, and was first elected to Toronto City Council in 2022. She described herself as an "independent progressive voice" and called Toronto-Danforth a "very environmentally-focused community." After former councillor Mike Layton announced plans to run in University-Rosedale on Monday, Saxe said she believes it is better "to have two environmental champions than one." Another University-Rosedale candidate, Gabe Blanc, also withdrew on Friday and publicly endorsed Layton.
Earlier Friday, former city councillor Mary Fragedakis filed her nomination papers to join the Toronto-Danforth race. The mayoral race remains largely unchanged: a total of 51 candidates will appear on the ballot, with polls indicating a likely three-way race between Olivia Chow, Brad Bradford and Chris Alexander. Former Liberal MP Shaun Chen registered at the last minute in Scarborough North, joining a field of eight candidates including incumbent Jamal Myers.

6. 'Toddler Rave World Tour' headed to Toronto
Source: CP24
"Toddler techno" creator Lenny Pearce explains how an idea to remix nursery rhymes turned into a global phenomenon — and the "Toddler Rave World Tour" is now headed to Toronto.
Pearce says the event "is always so much fun." The video report shows how the creator of "toddler techno" turned classic nursery rhymes into upbeat dance tracks, offering a unique family party experience for parents and young children.

7. Canada's largest Korean cultural celebration features K-pop acts
Source: CP24
Canada's largest Korean cultural celebration is underway, featuring K-pop acts, street food vendors, a K-beauty pavilion and performances.
The celebration brings together elements of Korean pop culture, food and beauty, offering a rich taste of Korean culture to the Greater Toronto Area's diverse communities and drawing residents and visitors alike.

8. Two 14-year-old boys charged in knifepoint robbery in Oshawa
Source: CP24
Two 14-year-old boys have been arrested following a knifepoint robbery in Oshawa on Wednesday. Durham Regional Police said they got a call at 5:45 p.m. for a robbery in the area of Hillcrest Drive and Dean Avenue, near Highway 401 and Wilson Road South. Officers learned that a victim had arranged to meet a suspect to purchase a cellphone listed for sale on an online marketplace.
During the exchange, police allege, a second suspect approached and threatened the victim at knifepoint while demanding the victim's wallet. The victim was not physically injured. After the suspects fled, officers arrived and deployed a drone, which located the suspects entering a vehicle and followed it until police initiated a traffic stop. The suspects ran away during the stop, but the drone tracked them through a neighbourhood, and after a brief pursuit they were arrested.
In a news release Friday, police said the two 14-year-old boys from Oshawa were charged with robbery and possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000. One of them is also facing charges of disguise with intent and unlawfully possessing a Schedule I substance. They cannot be named under the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
9. Unexpected months-long pool closure leaves Vancouver swim club scrambling
Source: CP24
Swimmers in Vancouver are facing more frustration as another pool is set to close for months — an unexpected development that has left at least one competitive swim club scrambling just weeks before the start of its season. The city confirmed Britannia Pool will be shut down from November to the following September for "critical upgrades" to its mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, among others.
The Canadian Dolphin Swim Club said it didn't learn about the closure until Thursday, 18 days before its 2026-27 season begins. Club treasurer Carola Mansfield described the news as "a complete shock," particularly after receiving city approval for programming at Britannia as recently as June. Nearly 240 swimmers are registered with the club this year, some of whom were expecting to spend four days per week at Britannia and are now being offered different time slots at other pools.
Vancouver Park Board Commissioner Scott Jensen said the pool should be kept open until the $175 million replacement for the Vancouver Aquatic Centre is built. Britannia Pool is normally closed for about a month each November for annual maintenance; the city said it "became clear" during this year's planning that the facility would need to remain closed longer "to complete the work safely," with approximately two weeks of scheduled fall programming affected before the December holiday break.

10. Possible new Roots owner threads plan for global growth
Source: CP24
The New York brand management firm that has signed an agreement to buy Roots Corp. wants to take the storied Canadian brand and export it to the rest of the world. Marquee Brands, the firm behind Martha Stewart, Laura Ashley and Roberto Cavalli, says growth will be a top priority. Chief executive Heath Golden said Friday he envisions bringing Roots to big markets like Korea, India and Mexico and expanding its small presence in the U.S. and China.
Roots has more than 100 corporate-owned stores in Canada but just two in the U.S., with a partner operating another 100 shops in Asia and a presence on Tmall, Alibaba Group's Chinese platform. The retailer was started by Michigan natives Michael Budman and Don Green, who met at an Ontario summer camp in the sixties and opened what became Roots in 1973. Roots has agreed to be acquired for $4.10 per share in cash — the result of a strategic review kicked off in March — and its shares were up more than 10 per cent in afternoon trading Friday. The deal still needs shareholder and regulatory approval.
Canadian fashion figure Joseph Mimran, the designer behind Joe Fresh and Club Monaco, will lead JM&A Design and Development Inc. in developing, manufacturing and distributing Roots clothing for Canadian and U.S. stores. "This is a very emotional brand. It's an emotional brand for Canada," he said. Roots CEO Meghan Roach signalled she doesn't expect anything dramatic, saying, "I don't think you're going to see a Roots brand that doesn't look like the brand you expect."

评论 (0)
更多优惠
-11%CESAR Classic Loaf in Sauce Wet Dog Food, 24-Pack Variety — Real Meat First! $28.77 CAD (10% Off)
Amazon
-16%ESR Geo Digital iPad Pencil — Find My + 20-Min Fast Charge! $39.09 CAD (15% Off)
Amazon
-11%BAGAIL 6-Set Compression Packing Cubes — $25.64 CAD (10% Off)
Amazon
-15%SECRUI Wireless Doorbell — 58 Chimes, 1000ft Range, 1-Min Install! $20.58 CAD (14% Off)
Amazon
Maple ExpressMaple Express Noon | August 21, 2026 Canada-U.S. trade talks enter final stretch as tariff deadline looms
AI Weekly