
Maple Express | August 22, 2026: Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation on U.S. tariffs
Canada-U.S. trade talks collapse as Carney vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation; Ford backs Carney; one dead in North York police shooting; three-vehicle crash in Toronto's west end; GTA housing market divide; Alberta health card expiry; wildfire evacuation gaps for people with disabilities; businesses fear closure over tariffs; U.S. 50% tariff list; B.C. Premier Eby responds.
1. Carney calls U.S. tariffs an economic 'attack', vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation
Source: CP24
On August 22, Prime Minister Mark Carney said U.S. President Donald Trump's new 50 per cent tariffs amount to an economic "attack" on Canada, and vowed "dollar for dollar" retaliatory tariffs to take effect on September 8. His remarks came after trade talks with the U.S. broke down overnight.
Carney said last-minute requests from the American delegation led to the breakdown in negotiations, and that Canada is now in an economic "war" with the U.S. Trump's 50 per cent tariffs target about US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods, including cement and hockey sticks.
Asked why it felt like going to war today, Carney responded: "You're at war when you get attacked. We got attacked." He added that Canada has "the reserves" and "the resilience," and will focus on what it can control and continue to build.

2. Ford backs Carney: no deal is better than a bad deal
Source: CP24
Ontario Premier Doug Ford said on August 22 he is "glad" Prime Minister Mark Carney listened to industry experts who said Canada was getting a "bad deal." Ford backed Carney's decision to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and called for a forceful Canadian response.
In a social media post late Friday, Ford said: "Team Canada needs to stand together more united than ever before. The prime minister has my full support for a strong response — tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar." He described the tariff dispute as an "economic war."
Ford also revealed that in a letter sent to Carney on Monday, he wrote that "no deal is better than a bad deal," and stressed Ontario would not support removing its existing retaliatory measures without "significant relief" for workers and businesses. Carney said the U.S. made last-minute changes involving the auto sector and sought to restrict Canada's ability to pursue trade deals with other countries.

3. One dead after police-involved shooting in North York, SIU investigating
Source: CP24
One person is dead after a Toronto police-involved shooting in North York on the afternoon of August 22. Toronto police said officers responded to Wilson and King High Avenues, east of Allen Road, at 1:24 p.m. for reports of a "damaged vehicle driving erratically."
Police said the vehicle had been involved in a collision and was attempting to flee. During an interaction with the driver, one officer discharged their firearm. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene, and no officers were injured.
The Special Investigations Unit, which is called when police actions result in death, serious injury or the discharge of a firearm at a person, has invoked its mandate. Residents said they heard "pops," and described the incident as "very, very rare" in their neighbourhood.

4. Three people taken to hospital after three-vehicle collision in Toronto's west end
Source: CP24
Three people were taken to hospital after a three-vehicle collision in Toronto's west end early on August 22. Emergency crews were called to Lacey Avenue near Keele Street and Eglinton Avenue at about 2 a.m.
Toronto police said one of the vehicles struck a tree. Paramedics assessed four people at the scene; one refused treatment, while three were taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.
One patient was transported to a trauma centre in serious but stable condition. There is no word on charges, and police say the investigation is ongoing.

5. These are the GTA neighbourhoods where homes sit on the market the longest
Source: CP24
New data released by digital real estate platform Wahi this week shows a sharp divide in how quickly homes are selling across the GTA, with some family-friendly neighbourhoods finding buyers in as little as 10 days while luxury and condo-heavy communities sit for months.
"There is no Canadian housing market. It's sort of a bunch of different housing markets that behave really differently," Wahi economist Ryan McLaughlin told CP24. According to Wahi's analysis of MLS data, Alderwood in Etobicoke was the GTA's fastest-selling neighbourhood in July at an average of 10 days, followed by Palmer in Burlington at 15 days, and Uptown Ajax and Dovercourt Park in Toronto at 16 days. Humber Bay in Etobicoke, along with Milton, Markham, Whitby, North York and Toronto, rounded out the top 10 at 17 days or less.
The slowest-selling was Chaplin Estates in midtown Toronto at 77 days, followed by Tansley Woods in Burlington at 71 days and Bronte Lakeshore in Oakville at 65 days. McLaughlin said the GTA is "being dragged down by the condos," with smaller units especially "really struggling," and the gap between fastest and slowest narrowed from June.

6. Alberta premier defends health card expiry date as fraud prevention
Source: CP24
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith confirmed on August 22 that the province's health cards now come with an expiry date. On her Saturday call-in radio program Your Province, Your Premier, she addressed concerns raised since the introduction of a combined driver's licence and health card.
"We are putting expiries on the health care cards, yes," Smith said. "That's actually one of the things the auditor-general has been asking for us to do for some time, because part of the problem is we've got 500,000 more health care cards than we have people in Alberta." She said the auditor-general is very concerned about potential fraud.
Smith said the health card expiry is synchronized to the driver's licence or Alberta identity card, and cards expire after five years. She called it "a fraud prevention measure" that "should have been done ages ago." The NDP and Friends of Medicare criticized the move, saying it adds barriers for vulnerable people.

7. Wildfires expose evacuation gaps for Canadians with disabilities, advocates say
Source: CP24
Advocates say wildfires have exposed evacuation gaps for Canadians with disabilities. The Canadian Press reported on August 22 on Janice Lyons, a 74-year-old Deaf resident of Summerland, B.C., whose community saw the Bald Range fire force about 20,000 people from their homes in the south Okanagan region earlier this month.
Because Lyons and her husband are both Deaf, their doorbell flashes instead of chiming. Their neighbour Larry pantomimed the fire and handed her a note with a registration centre in Penticton. "If Larry never came to tell me, I have no idea" what would have happened, she said.
Surveys indicate roughly one in four Canadians has at least one disability. More than 670,000 people were evacuated across Canada between 1990 and 2020, mostly from floods and wildfires, and some estimates suggest that rate could triple by 2030. Researcher Tabassum Zarin said accessibility is often recognized in principle but rarely built into emergency plans.

8. Businesses fear closure with no Canada-U.S. trade deal as industry reacts
Source: CP24
The collapse of Canada-U.S. trade talks, the imposition of 50 per cent tariffs on $28 billion worth of Canadian goods, and Prime Minister Mark Carney's pledge of dollar-for-dollar retaliation drew swift reaction from the business community. Canadian Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Candace Laing called the breakdown "a body blow to North American competitiveness."
"A whopping, non-absorbable tariff is not sustainable or viable for business," Laing said, noting that for a small Canadian exporter on tight margins, this means looking at orders, payroll and employees.
Unifor president Lana Payne said negotiators made "the right decision by walking away," adding that "Trump's never-ending list of concessions, threats and economic extortion are designed to break us and own us." Canadian Federation of Independent Business president Dan Kelly said 40 per cent of small exporters sell items on the new tariff list, and some members say it "will kill their businesses."

9. A list of some of the items the U.S. is slapping with a 50 per cent tariff
Source: CP24
The United States is imposing a 50 per cent tariff on a range of Canadian exports starting August 22, after the two countries could not reach a new deal before a deadline imposed by President Donald Trump. Trump had threatened the tariffs in July to pressure Canada on several issues.
The tariffs were originally set to take effect August 19, but Trump delayed implementation by three days for more talks. Just before midnight Friday, Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said talks had broken off. The tariffs cover roughly five per cent of Canada's exports to the U.S., worth about $28 billion annually.
The tariffs are grouped by three executive orders loosely themed around motor vehicles, dairy and alcohol, but the actual lists are broader. Affected goods include milk and cream, beer, wine and liquor, hockey equipment, video game consoles, smartphones, motorcycles of 800 cc or greater, as well as toys and Christmas decorations.

10. Americans revealed 'true nature' of Trump trade war during negotiations, Eby says
Source: CP24
B.C. Premier David Eby said at a news conference on August 22 that British Columbia "will stand strong with Canada," after the breakdown of trade talks with the U.S. Friday night. He said everything is on the table regarding B.C.'s participation in the response to "unfair" American tariffs.
Eby said the idea of returning American alcohol to B.C. liquor store shelves would be "absurd." He called the U.S. team's effort to limit Canada's ability to make its own trade deals "unacceptable," and said the negotiations "revealed the true nature of what the Americans are seeking."
"The suggestion that Canada would not trade with other countries or reduce our trade because the Americans tell us to would reduce us to the economic equivalent of the 51st state," Eby said. He tied the province's booze ban to the U.S. treatment of Canada's forestry sector, saying B.C. would not stock U.S. alcohol while the American "attack" continues.

评论 (0)
更多优惠
-23%AEGTEST HOUND-1011S Portable Radon Detector — Real-Time LCD Reading! $69.99 CAD (22% Off)
Amazon
-41%Ortizan Portable Bluetooth Speaker — IPX7 Waterproof, 30-Hour Playtime! $41.98 CAD (40% Off)
Amazon
-63%DOLAER Suction Cup Mount for GoPro — Rock-Solid Mount for Any GoPro! $27.99 CAD (63% Off)
Best Buy
-29%KitchenAid Tilt-Head 6-Wire Whip — Fluffier Cream & Egg Whites! $24.99 CAD (29% Off)
Amazon
Global Express | August 22, 2026 Russian and Ukrainian attacks kill 9 as mall strike aftermath grips Ukraine
Maple Express